It’s here! It’s finally here! You don’t understand, I’ve been talking with some friends about reading this book together for months, and now we finally are. Gah. Okay, back to the intro. Welcome to our very first A Darker Shade of Magic readalong discussion! I hope that all of you have been looking forward to this book, and have also been enjoying it as much as I have so far! If this is the first time you’re hearing about this readalong, you can read the announcement and sign-up post here! I am accepting new participants up to the next, or third discussion, if you think you can catch up! If you want reminder emails, please be sure to sign up for the newsletter as well (link also provided in the post linked above).
– The Readalong Book –
A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC BY V.E. SCHWAB
Title: A Darker Shade of Magic
Author: V.E. Schwab
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: TOR Books
Date published: February 24, 2015 (hardcover)
January 19, 2016 (paperback)
Page Count: 400
Synopsis: Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black. Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they’ll never see. It’s a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand. After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure. Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they’ll first need to stay alive.
– Parts 1-4 Discussion Questions –
Note: those of you who have not yet read A Darker Shade of Magic and still intend to read it, don’t read this post beyond this point (including the comments)! But if you like spoilers go right ahead.
To participants: It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. These are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please, also keep in mind that we are discussing parks 1-4 at this point only, and that if you have read ahead, that you be conscious about not sharing spoilers. We want to keep this fun for everyone! Please be considerate.
- What do you think of the book so far? Does it match your expectations?
- Do you have any favourite parts? Any favourite quotes?
- Which London is your favourite? Which one would you like to live in? And which one would you most likely be stuck living in, knowing your luck?
- Have you connected with any characters? Any faves? Do you have the feeling that any of your loyalties to said character/s might change as the book progresses?
- How are you liking the magic / magic system?
- How do you feel about Lila killing her landlord and setting his boat on fire for his almost raping her?
- Do you think that Kell should have agreed to take the letter to Red London, and accepted the parcel as payment? Are you side Kell, or side Rhy on this issue?
- If you had to choose either Astrid Dane or Athos Dane to speak with (if you had to speak to one of them), who would you choose?
– My Answers –
- Yes! I have heard nothing but good things about this series, and so far, the first book has not disappointed me! I’m happy I can read more from it now!
- I actually audiobooked this first section while driving to Toronto for work, and therefore could not write anything down. But going just by memory…I would say that I liked the interactions between Kell and Rhy, aaand the scenes that took place in White London!
- Red London is definitely my fave, because I love magic (and prosperity). So, I would definitely love to live there…but knowing my luck, I’d probably end up stuck in Grey London or White London…maybe even Black London haha. Sigh.
- I really love Kell and Rhy so far, and while I’m not crazy about Lila, I’m sure that she will grow on me.
- I find the magic to be very unique, and I look forward to reading and learning more about it!
- This is tough for me, because rape is definitely an unforgivable crime. But at the same time, I’m not sure if that man deserved to die, for attempting to rape Lila? I don’t know. I can’t seem to make my mind up.
- While I love adventure and all, I think that Kell should have listened to Rhy and stopped moving things between the Londons. Simultaneously though, I know that we wouldn’t have a story without the poor decisions of characters. Haha.
- While both of them scare me, I think that I would definitely choose Athos. He seems a lot more predictable, and seems a lot less like a snake, and more like a tiger or something…i.e. I would know what to expect from him, more than I would from Astrid. At least in my opinion.
– Readalong Schedule –
|Date||Chapter Discussions||Discussion Location|
|September 1, 2017||Start reading!||N/A|
|September 6, 2017||Parts 1 – 4||This post!|
|September 13, 2017||Parts 5 – 8||Flavia the Bibliophile|
|September 20, 2017||Parts 9 – 11||Flavia the Bibliophile|
|September 30, 2017||Parts 12 – 14||Flavia the Bibliophile|
THANK YOU FOR READING AND THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU PARTICIPATING IN THIS READALONG! I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS, AND DISCUSSING THEM WITH YOU! HAPPY READING!