Welcome to the 2nd discussion for our A Darker Shade of Magic readalong! I hope that you’re all keeping up, and that those of you who have already finished the book (haha) will continue to join us for discussions! Please let me know if you have any concerns at all, but contacting me via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), via my Contact page, or through the comments below! If this is the first time you’re hearing about this readalong, you can read the announcement and sign-up post here! I am accepting new participants up to the third discussion, if you think you can catch up! If you want reminder emails, please be sure to sign up for the newsletter as well (link also provided in the post linked above).
– The Readalong Book –
A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC BY V.E. SCHWAB
Title: A Darker Shade of Magic
Author: V.E. Schwab
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: TOR Books
Date published: February 24, 2015 (hardcover)
January 19, 2016 (paperback)
Page Count: 400
Synopsis: Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black. Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they’ll never see. It’s a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand. After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure. Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they’ll first need to stay alive.
– Parts 5-8 Discussion Questions –
Note: those of you who have not yet read A Darker Shade of Magic and still intend to read it, don’t read this post beyond this point (including the comments)! But if you like spoilers go right ahead.
To participants: It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. These are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please, also keep in mind that we are discussing parks 1-4 at this point only, and that if you have read ahead, that you be conscious about not sharing spoilers. We want to keep this fun for everyone! Please be considerate.
Announcement: If any of you think of questions that you would like for me to include in the next discussion post (for parts 9-11) please let me know in the comments, by emailing me, or by sending me a DM on Twitter!
- Do you have any favourite parts in this portion of the book?
- Do you feel differently about Lila now that she had her scene where she goes to punish the thugs who stole from the beggar boy?
- Did you expect Kell and Lila to meet at this point in the book, and in the way they did?
- Do you feel different about Holland now?
- How soon did you realize that Kell would have to travel to Black London to complete his quest?
- Did you expect Holland to show up on the scene again so quickly? And did you suspect that he was involved with the stone in some way, before he showed up?
- If you haven’t read ahead, do you have an predictions of how Kell and Lila’s travel from Grey London to Red London might go?
- Did you feel as sad as I did when Barron was killed? 😥
– My Answers –
- I really enjoyed Kell and Lila’s interactions!
- Yes, I definitely feel closer to her now that we’ve learned more about her inner workings, and her need to live her life, not just survive.
- I knew that they would meet eventually, but had no idea in what way that would happen. But now, I cannot think of a more perfect way for them to meet!
- I think I feel a little less bad for him…but I tend to be drawn to villains, so I don’t know for sure yet.
- I realized it just a few paragraphs before he thought it, and then said it. Because I tend to be horrible at predicting things these days, I was quite proud of myself! Haha.
- No, I didn’t expect him to show up again quite yet, for some reason. See? Horrible at predictions.
- Why did I make this predictive question?! I have no idea how it’ll go…but if I had to guess, I would guess that they’ll both get through…with some small hiccups?
- Oh my gosh, I don’t know why, but that part made me super sad! I had started to feel kind of protective of Barron because he seemed the rough on the outside, soft on the inside, type. And he takes in kids that no one cares for and…. *weeps in corner*
– Readalong Schedule –
|Date||Chapter Discussions||Discussion Location|
|September 1, 2017||Start reading!||N/A|
|September 6, 2017||Parts 1 – 4||Located here|
|September 13, 2017||Parts 5 – 8||This post!|
|September 20, 2017||Parts 9 – 11||Flavia the Bibliophile|
|September 30, 2017||Parts 12 – 14||Flavia the Bibliophile|
THANK YOU FOR READING AND THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU PARTICIPATING IN THIS READALONG! AND THANKS TO THOSE OF YOU JUST TUNING IN! IF YOU’VE ALREADY READ THE BOOK BEFORE, YOU’RE MORE THAN WELCOME TO JOIN THE DISCUSSION AS WELL! I JUST ASK THAT YOU BE AWARE OF WHICH SECTIONS WE ARE DISCUSSING, AND AVOIDING SPOILERS. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS, AND DISCUSSING THEM WITH YOU! HAPPY READING!