Welcome to the 4th (and final) discussion for our A Darker Shade of Magic readalong! It seems as if we’ve been reading this book for a very long time…and at the same time, it also feels as if time just flew by! I’m very sad that we are now finished this book, and that our discussions have to end! I want to continue hosting readalongs for the sake of these awesome discussions alone! Due to my insane reading schedule (you can have a look at the craziness here), I will be unable to host one in October. I am hoping to host a readalong for the sequel to this book in November though, and will keep you guys updated on that. Now, let’s get to our last ADSOM discussion!
– The Readalong Book –
A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC BY V.E. SCHWAB
Title: A Darker Shade of Magic
Author: V.E. Schwab
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: TOR Books
Date published: February 24, 2015 (hardcover)
January 19, 2016 (paperback)
Page Count: 400
Synopsis: Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black. Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they’ll never see. It’s a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand. After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure. Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they’ll first need to stay alive.
– Pars 12-14 Discussion Questions –
Note: those of you who have not yet read A Darker Shade of Magic and still intend to read it, don’t read this post beyond this point (including the comments)! But if you like spoilers go right ahead.
To participants: It’s not mandatory that you answer these questions! This is not school, haha. These are mainly meant to generate conversations in case some of our readalongers are having a hard time picking something to talk about. Also, feel free to mention and discuss anything which I may not have thought of in the questions below! Please, also keep in mind that we are discussing parks 1-4 at this point only, and that if you have read ahead, that you be conscious about not sharing spoilers. We want to keep this fun for everyone! Please be considerate.
Announcement: If any of you think of questions that you would like for me to include in the last discussion post (for parts 12-14) please let me know in the comments, by emailing me, or by sending me a DM on Twitter!
- Do you think that Holland will be coming back from Black London to cause trouble later? Or maybe to help? Or do you think he perished there?
- Did you expect the White London twins to die? Or just be defeated?
- Did you expect Kell to kiss Lila? Do you sense any romantic chemistry between them?
- Were you sad that Kell and Lila parted ways?
- Were you surprised that none of the characters (with the exception of Holland) actually went to Black London? Disappointed?
- Will you be continuing with the series (if you haven’t read it all, already)? And if so, would you be interested in another readalong for the 2nd book? (I would completely understand of you decided to read the next books at your own speed! I won’t be offended, haha).
– My Answers –
- I have a feeling that Holland might come back! I never trust authors now, when characters don’t officially/entirely die, haha.
- I thought they’d be around for the rest of the series, as the main antagonists, so yes, I was surprised that they were killed off!
- I didn’t expect Kell to kiss Lila because I sadly don’t feel any sexual attraction between them? I see them more as friends….and that makes me sad, because I love romance!
- Yeah I’m always sad when characters that are close to each other have to part ways until the next book, haha.
- Well, going back to last week’s discussion….I had a feeling that the stone would stick around, and be thrown into Black London maybe in book 2 or 3? I didn’t expect the stone to be defeated and sent back with Holland haha. I was surprised!
- Yes, I will be continuing with the series for sure! I love this world, and the characters have really grown on me!
– Readalong Schedule –
|Date||Chapter Discussions||Discussion Location|
|September 1, 2017||Start reading!||N/A|
|September 6, 2017||Parts 1 – 4||Located here|
|September 13, 2017||Parts 5 – 8||Located here|
|September 20, 2017||Parts 9 – 11||Located here|
|September 30, 2017||Parts 12 – 14||This post!|
THANK YOU FOR READING AND THANK YOU TO THOSE OF YOU PARTICIPATING IN THIS READALONG! AND THANKS TO THOSE OF YOU JUST TUNING IN! IF YOU’VE ALREADY READ THE BOOK BEFORE, YOU’RE MORE THAN WELCOME TO JOIN THE DISCUSSION AS WELL! I JUST ASK THAT YOU BE AWARE OF WHICH SECTIONS WE ARE DISCUSSING, AND AVOIDING SPOILERS. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS, AND DISCUSSING THEM WITH YOU! HAPPY READING!